Skiddaw House is a remote mountain hostel, perched at 470m on the flanks of Skiddaw. Being 3.5 miles from the nearest road or other building, it can only be reached on foot or by mountain bike. It’s the perfect retreat for those who love wild places or want to get away from it all; there is no light pollution, phone signal, internet, or TV to distract from the tranquil surroundings. Solar panels provide hot water and lighting, whilst wood-burning stoves provide the heating and sheep’s wool insulation keeps it cosy. As well as being in an excellent location for ascending Skiddaw and Blencathra, there are many varied walks in the northern fells from the door and the hostel is also on the Cumbria Way.
- Open March – October, group bookings only over winter.
- Dormitory beds from £15, private rooms from £46 and whole hostel available for hire from £250 (22 beds in total).
- Our shop and bar stocks a good range of local ales, wines and spirits, as well as everything you need to make a simple meal. Self-catering meal deals: breakfast £3.50 per person; packed lunch £4; evening meal £4.50.
- Large common room well-equipped with cooking facilities and wood burning stove.
- Smaller cosy lounge with stove, books, musical instruments, games and dart board.
- There is no heating in the bedrooms, but there are plenty of blankets and hot water bottles. Bedding is provided and towels are available for hire.
- Hot showers.
- Secure bike storage.
Book via the YHA website: http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/skiddaw-bunkhouse
Skiddaw House makes an ideal location for hiking, mountain-biking and bird-watching groups, or for friends or families looking for an adventurous place for a get-together. Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in making a group booking. Group bookings are available over winter.
The hostel opens at 5pm; early arrivals can access the common room via a keypad. The code will be emailed to you once a booking is made.
Friends of Nature members pay the same price as YHA members, please ensure this is claimed at the booking stage. We don't have credit/debit card facilities on site so please bring cash or cheques.
Nearest train station: Penrith. From Penrith the X4/X5 bus stops at Threlkeld (4 miles away) and Keswick (5 miles away).